When choosing an industry, you do not have to be too critical in your choice
The choice of a particular industry does not eliminate the possibility of invoicing for work that does not belong to that industry. In addition, you can change your industry later if the focus of your business changes.
For example, a cleaner can well bill even for marketing services.
Of course, for marketing and statistical purposes, it is good for a company’s industry to describe what the company is generally doing. If you plan to provide mainly cleaning services, but also occasionally do marketing work, you should choose cleaning services as your main business.
How to choose a suitable industry
When considering which industry would be right for your business, you should look at the industries that have been chosen by entrepreneurs or companies doing similar work. You can get this information from the ytj.fi service. You can first reminisce or search online for companies with services similar to the ones you plan to offer, and then use the YTJ to check which industries they have chosen.
You can also check the list below where the most used industries are listed.
You can find all the industries from which you can choose the one closest to your own in the TOL 2008 classification: https://www.stat.fi/en/luokitukset/toimiala/
The industries most frequently used by private traders and the tasks and titles of those who work in them:
Beauty and health
96022 Beauty treatment activities
86909 Other health care services
- Healthcare professionals authorized to treat patients, such as masseurs, pediatricians, nutritionists, chiropractors, speech therapists, psychologists, health consultants
- NOTE! Massage therapists without training in the field of health care (for example, a professional qualification of a masseur or a sports masseur) can choose the industry category 96040 Physical well-being activities
96021 Hairdressing activities
Construction and real estate
41200 Construction of residential and non-residential buildings
- Construction professionals
81210 General cleaning of buildings
- Cleaning of interiors, such as business premises and homes (including small-scale cleaning of courtyards)
81100 Combined facilities support activities
- Property managers, property management, cottage cleaners, minor renovations, security and lobby services, yard and snow work
Business sectors such as consultants and coaches
70220 Business and other management consultancy activities
- For example, communications consultants, design and development of marketing, and other strategies
85599 Other educational institutions
- Arranging courses and coaching, such as training for companies, aid courses, etc.
Media, art, and content production (incl. Bloggers, video bloggers, influencers, and artists)
74201 Photographic studio and other photographic activities
- Photographers and videographers, such as portraiture, event and product photography, and streaming and production of video
90030 Artistic creation
- Freelance editors, bloggers
- Visual artists, art photographers, cartoonists, illustrators, composers, writers
74101 Graphic design activities
- Graphic designers, visual communication
73111 Advertising agency activities
- Design and implementation of marketing and advertising and production of advertising material: graphic designers, marketing professionals, influencers
18200 Reproduction of recorded media
- Video and audio production, such as the production of social media videos
Personal trainers and sports
85510 Sports and recreation education
- Exercise instructors, yoga instructors, personal trainers, and sports coaches
93190 Other sports activities
- Professional athletes and the organization of sporting events, as well as the operation of riding stables and racing garages, for example
The car industry, taxis
45201 Maintenance and repair of motor vehicles (excl. tires)
- Vehicle installers, car service and repair, car wash, car painting
49320 Taxi operation
- Taxi drivers
96090 Other personal service activities n.e.c.
- For example, animal outdoor activities, grooming, care and training, and tattooists and piercer
47919 Other retail sales via mail order houses and net commerce
- E-commerce and telemarketing (retail)
Data processing and programming
62010 Computer programming activities
- Software structure and content design, and coding, testing, and support